We are happy to announce that starting Tuesday, June 23rd, the library will officially begin offering Curbside Service for holds pick up. Patrons will not have access to the library, so you must place a hold by phone, email or through your library account. Here’s how it works:
1. Place a hold. This can be done via phone at 253.841.5454, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by logging into the library catalog via the web or our mobile app. To login to the catalog, you must know your library card number and PIN.
Don’t know what you want? That’s okay! Please fill out our Cubside Request Form and we will put together a to-go order for you. You can also give us a call or send us an email with an idea of what you’d like to read or watch, and we’ll select your materials for you. However, please be aware that these requests will be limited to the first 15 items available in the collection.
Please allow up to 48 hours to process your request. We cannot guarantee that any requested item will be available as soon as you request it. We will notify you when your items are ready to be picked up. You may also check the status of your holds by logging into your account through the library catalog as mentioned above.
2. Once you’ve received the notification that your items are ready, come to the library to pick them up during the following hours, no appointment necessary:
Tuesday & Wednesday – 11am to 6pm
Thursday, Friday & Saturday – 10am to 5pm
3. When you arrive at the library, follow the posted instructions to receive your items. Call or text the number provided in the instructions with your first and last name, and we will bring your items out to your car within 15 minutes. Please remain in your car during the entire transaction for the safety of both yourself and library staff.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Who can use curbside service?
Anyone with a valid and current Puyallup Public Library card can use curbside services. Don’t have a library card? Please visit this page to learn how to sign up for a card online or give us a call at 253.841.5454 to set one up.
2. My account has expired, or I have fines. Can I still use curbside services?
If you can’t login and believe your account is expired, please contact us to update your information and reactivate your account. If you have fines over $15 and cannot place a hold, please contact us to review your account. In both instances, we should be able to restore your account so that you are eligible to use curbside services.
3. How do I place a hold?
Most holds can be placed by logging into your account through our library’s catalog. You will need your library card number and PIN in order to log in. If you don’t know your library card information or would like an alternative way to place holds, you may give us a call at 253.841.5454 or send an email to email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you.
4. How many items can I request at a time?
If placing a request for an item through our catalog or mobile app, patrons may have up to 25 active holds on their account at a time. If placing requests for items selected by library staff, patrons will be limited to the first 15 items available in the collection that meet their request.
5. What kinds of materials are available to reserve?
You can reserve most of the items in our collection. However, please note that we are not currently accepting holds for newspapers, reference materials (such as car repair manuals, items from the History Room, and other non-circulating materials) and museum passes.
6. I don’t know what items I want, but I still want to check things out! What do I do?
Library staff is happy to help you pick out library materials. You can fill out a Curbside Request Form to give us detailed information on what you would like to check out. A librarian will put together a to-go collection for you. You can also call 253.841.5454 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with an idea of what you like to read or watch (for instance, a selection of books by a certain author or a selection of titles from your favorite genre) and we will select titles for you. Please note that these types of requests will be limited to the first 15 items available in the collection.
7. I’m a parent and would like to request library materials about a certain topic for my child. What do I do?
Library staff is happy to help you pick out library materials based on age, grade level, reading level, or whatever criteria you have for us. You can request this service either through our Curbside Request Form, by calling 253.841.5454 or email us at email@example.com and let us know what you’d like, and we will select materials for you. Please note that these types of requests will be limited to the first 15 items available in the collection that meet your requests.
8. What times can I pick up my holds?
Curbside Service will be offered:
Tuesday & Wednesday: 11am to 6pm
Thursday, Friday & Saturday: 10am to 5pm
When you arrive, please call or text the number provided with your first and last name to let us know you have arrived. We will bring your items out to your car within 15 minutes.
9. What happens when I arrive to pick up my holds?
When you arrive, follow the posted signs for instructions. You will call or text the phone number provided and then we will bring your items to your car within 15 minutes. For the safety of yourself and others, please remain in your vehicle for the duration of your transaction.
10. What if I’m on foot or riding a bike? Can I still use curbside service?
Sure! When you arrive, follow the posted instructions: call the number provided and we will bring your items to you within 15 minutes. To ensure the safety of yourself and others, please be sure to always maintain a 6ft distance, and walkers, please stay on the sidewalk.
11. Once my items are ready to pick up, how long do I have to come get them?
Your holds will be available for 2 weeks from the date that you receive your notification that your item is ready for pick up.
12. How long can I keep the items I check out?
Items currently have a 5 week checkout period with an optional 3 week renewal. Items that have holds cannot be renewed.
13. Can I return items I already have checked out when I come to pick up my items?
Of course! Our outdoor book drop is open for returning materials. Please note, however, that library staff will not be able to take your returns from you when they bring out your items; all returns must be taken to the book drop.
14. Will you take book donations?
At this time, the library is not taking book donations. However, you can use the Goodwill Store Locator to see if your local Goodwill is currently taking donations.
15. Can I print or use the computers?
There is no building access for patrons, so there is no computer access. We can print a limited number of documents for patrons. There is no charge for this service, but requests must comply with the following guidelines:
a. Documents will be printed in black and white. No color printing is available.
b. Documents should be 10 pages or less
c. Patrons are limited to 40 pages per week in total.
d. Documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment. Acceptable file formats are .doc and pdf.
e. Please allow 1 business day (24 hours) for your request to be processed. We are closed on Sunday and Monday. Requests submitted on Saturday will be available on Tuesday.
f. Documents are printed double-sided, but can be printed single-sided on request.